The Breth Studio welcomes any student who loves music enough to devote the time and energy necessary to reach one’s highest capabilities.
- An audition/interview is required, with a fee of $50.
Tuition & Fees 2022-23
Annual tuition covers:
- 40 lessons (including at least four lessons in the summer)
- 10 group performance classes
- 2 studio recitals
Tuition rates are as follows:
|Lesson length||Annual rate||Trimester rate|
- Trimester tuition payments are due in early July, November and March.
- Statements are issued 1 week before each due date. The July statement includes a $40 registration fee.
- A $20 late payment fee is assessed if payment is more than 2 weeks overdue.
- All tuition payments are non-refundable unless lessons are terminated by me.
Single Lesson Fee
$125 per hour
- No makeups except for emergencies, severe weather or my own absence.
- If a family takes a vacation outside of the school holidays, missed lessons are forfeited. This rule does not apply to summer lessons: that schedule is flexible enough to allow changes.
- Lesson swaps may be arranged through the Student Portal.
Breth studio practice requirement
- Grades 1-4. 60 minutes daily (6 hours per week)
- Grades 5-8. 75 minutes daily (7 hours per week)
- Grades 9-12. 90 minutes minimum. When school allows, 2-3 hours daily (12-16 hours per week)
- It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure that these practice requirements are met.
I give students plenty of material to cover; they have no problem filling the time. Students make good progress with these time commitments. Many students actually practice more, though, and of course they accomplish more by doing that.
Think of practicing simply as a part of your daily routine (like brushing teeth, doing homework, eating breakfast). We all have occasional bad days, but anyone who loves music and is practicing correctly will usually find satisfaction and pleasure in his daily work. If you never enjoy your practice, it’s time for a discussion with me.
My Guide to Effective Practicing is written for you, to make your practicing more fun and more effective. Use it every day. Don’t get stuck with just one or two familiar tips; keep trying new ones along with your old favorites.
All students are required to sightread at home for at least 5 minutes a day.
I expect parents of young children to observe most or all lessons, and to help children practice at home. Lesson observation should be discontinued by the student’s 9th-grade year, if not earlier.
Please inquire if scholarship aid is needed.